THE PENINSULA CAFE
Originally a favoured Indigenous gathering and camping site later used as the Stables for the incoming Hardy Family.
This site has been the subject of several archaeological digs looking for the edge of the Stables.
Indigenous artifacts have also been found.
Dating back to the 1830’s this well was the major water source for the Homestead.
This shoe was a part of a pair and found in the well during the 2022 archealogical dig. It possibly belonged to Joseph Hardy.
This, the oldest brick house in WA, was built in 1839, but it wasn’t the first Tranby House. An earlier house was built downstream in 1830, but it soon washed away in a flood. Perhaps Beeliar was expressing its disapproval. Little is known about the second house built, and then Hardy recorded in a diary that he finished the roof on the third and current house by 1839.
In the 1920’s, it looked like this.
MAYLANDS AMATEUR BOATBUILDING YARD
Developed in the 1930’s and it is the only boatyard for amateur boatbuilders and repairers in Australia
The HORSE TRAINING TRACK
Was first made by Harry (Cannonball) Baker, Motorcyclist and aviator, and later (from 1951) owned and used by Harold Cheshire, Horse Trainer.
The track is now under a number of subdivisions.
SCHULSTED ENGINEERING FACTORY
Originally a dairy farm, the son began his engineering business by making milk carts and progressed to a full engineering works.
The original farm site with a pear tree and a pomegranate tree dating from the first days of European settlement.
PUBLIC EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
A direct descendant of the Life Be In It campaign which began in 1975
Now nearly 50 years old, Life Be In It is a part of our Society which, while the original advertisements have been discontinued, continues on in informal walking, park runs, bike riding and organised (and dis-organised) sports.
A necessary filter for the water flowing into the river, Beeliar, a number of these plants are edible and provided vegetable foods for the Indigenous People.
The Bayswater City Council is rehabilitating these flats.
The source of the early stormwater and sewerage pipes for Perth from 1896.
Sold to Brisbane & Wunderlich in 1929, it was later used to process malt for Sanitarium Foods before being demolished and replaced by Waterworld.
The water channel leading to the Pottery works for river transport is still visible.
AERODROME LANDING LIGHT
The last ‘in situ’ landing light for the Maylands aerodrome.
Back in 2007 there was still a row of lights along Clarkson Dr.
This Memorial to the Aerodrome was opened in 2014 after a decade of work by the Maylands Historical and Peninsular Association.
THE OLD COTTAGE
The final remaining hanger from the aerodrome is now on the Police compound.
It is heritage listed.
HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL DUMP
As the Golf Course was being developed, it was built up with rubbish. Some of which contained chemicals which were dangerous to the environment.
There were protests! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oaFoVtrKb0&t=23s
The Video lasts for 17 minutes.
Now we have an overgrown area which is still leaking nasty compounds into the Swan River.
On the left is the second of the Claypits excavated by the Brickworks, now beautified and renamed Lake Brearley after one of the great pioneer airmen.
The BRICKWORK’S TUNNEL
Between the two lakes is the now lawned and renamed ‘Johnson St’ named after one of the original Tranby families. The street was the reason there was a tunnel dug to join the two claypits and a railway was run from the end of what is now Lake Brearley to the Brickworks.
The North Pit, now ‘Lake Bungara’, named after one of the early Interstate Aircraft.
THE GOLF COURSE
On the left is the Maylands Golf Course.
This land was originally the Maylands Aerodrome and accommodated travellers and aircraft from all over Australia as well as visitors from Britain and Asia.
On the right is the third and remaining Brick Works built in Maylands.
The OLDEST STREET ART IN MAYLANDS
The short-cut through to Peninsula Rd leads us past the oldest known street art in the suburb.
The DROWNED CLAYPIT
Next to the shops in Peninsula Rd is a small lake which was the site of the claypit for the original and the second of the Maylands Brickworks.
The corner of Wall St and Peninsula Rd, is the site where some indigenous artifacts were discovered back in the 1970’s in an amateur archaeological search. It was originally a slightly higher site which would have given refuge from the annual flooding of Beeliar (Swan River) and would have been an extension of the camp site at the Tranby Cafe less than half a kilometre from here.
TRANBY ON SWAN
Along Wall St is the 1970’s Tranby on Swan housing estate developed by Alan Bond. This was the first major development of its type in Perth.
Ahead is the Bath St Reserve.
This was the main swimming spot on this section of Beeliar. A swimming club was formed. There is one jetty left but there were originally two and races were held from one to the other.
Evelyn De Lacy learned to swim here and eventually made it to the Berlin Olympics as a part of the Australian Olympic’s team.