I once ran a mile in four minutes fifteen,
Made love to two ladies in one night,
Smoked two kinds of weed and drank beer,
Read Tolstoy, Rod McKuen and Gibran,
Married in lust, we learned to love.
Wrote and ranted and rhymed and punned.
At times I almost made sense to me at least.
Somehow the years passed unnoticed,
An eternal procession of dawns and twilights.
The privilege of knowing them carelessly ignored.
I now walk a mile and need a week to recover.
In remembrance of the ladies I loved, I smile
Except for the tears for the one I love.
I’m allergic to smoke, the eyes are dim,
Lust is a memory and every dawn is precious.
JEMcL Oct 2016
I envy the little caterpillar
Eating, excreting then spinning
Sleeping for a while
Waking with wings of beauty
The caterpillar doesn’t know me
I eat, excrete but cannot spin
Sleeping for a while
Waking to the same ugliness
JEMcL Oct 2016
- And in all the days of our forefathers the Rulers did not care for the thoughts of the serfs and the slaves and the villeins for they didst not read nor didst they write.
- Then didst Lord Gutenberg, blessed be his name, invent and cause to be manufactured his Press.
- And the News Sheet was invented and sold and passed around containing sedition and thoughts of democracy.
- Until the French revolted in their new wisdom and removed the heads of their Rulers and their Priests and their Bankers.
- So it came to pass that the Three Estates were brought under the subjugation of the Fourth Estate
- Then the people chose their own leaders and found those leaders to be deceitful and wanting the power of those who hadst been usurped.
- So mightst democracy have died before being truly born except that the news sheets didst continue their claim to speak for the Fourth Estate.
- And to increase the power of the Fourth Estate literacy was invented and spread like unto a virus.
- Thus didst a new Power begin to gain control in the land and that power was the Press.
- Which same took unto itself the name of those it claimed to be.
- The Fourth Estate was promoted as the voice of the people.
- Yet it was just the voice of those who owned the presses and the news sheets.
- The Bankers and the Money-Lenders regrouped and financed the world again as they had since time immemorial
- Now they began to finance the Fourth Estate and those who owned and edited the Presses and the News Sheets were devoured with ambition.
- Feeling their power they began to influence Governments and Governments became subservient unto the Press.
- Which the Press spun as a Good Thing for were they not the Fourth Estate which was the People as a whole and a force for democracy.
- And the Editors became cannibals and ate the smaller editors and their News Sheets and so became known as The Press.
- And St. Hearst and St. Pulitzer became the largest of the Daily Press Cannibals whilst St. DeWitt Wallace didst create the Magazine.
- And plagiarism and condensing became one of the ways of the Fourth Estate in their control of the Masses.
- The Daily News Sheets took the brightest and the best scribes and taught them how to mimic their Editor and so the caste of reporters was created.
- They were like unto the Vestal Virgins or the Temple Prostitutes of the past as they sold their talent for the glory of the Editors.
- It came to pass that the Lord Marconi invented wireless transmissions and the radio came to pass.
- It further came to pass that the Lord Logie-Baird invented the TV.
- In their greed the devotees of Gutenburg’s gift thought to add the new to the old
- And so it came to pass that the Press became the Media and Advertising became the Holy Grail
- The people were no longer the Fourth Estate but were the consumers.
- The Fourth Estate were now but a small group controlling their scribes and controlling Governments.
- Then did the heirs and successors of St Hearst and St. Pulitzer grow fat and lazy upon the wealth of their possessions.
- Others grew avaricious and swallowed up the old media empires as all old empires must be swallowed.
- St Black gained much power and sought to control many Governments yet forgot that the Money-Lenders have power as well.
- His fall from power was shattering and his successors sought to include the Money-Lenders in their plans.
- It came to pass that St Mvrdoch acquired so much of the media that any scribe who wanted work wrote what St Mvrdoch wanted to hear.
- Without that approval there was no hope of advancement from the lesser media into the Mvrdock Media Temple where the Fourth Estate dwelled in its Glory.
- From where Governments were made and broken.
- For St Mvrdoch covenanted with his scribes that he would be immortal and would protect them whatever they wrote.
- So long as he approved it.
- It further came to pass that the Gods of Civilisation couldst not allow such hubris to last unto the end of the world.
- So they gave unto the Arch-Angel Watson the power to open the doors of the Mvrdoch Media Temple and his control of the Fourth Estate was revealed.
- The stench which emanated from that opening sent many of the scribes to Hell
- Even unto the Son of Mvrdoch
- As it was revealed that something rotten inhabited the Temple
- It was then that the invention of the blessed Berners-Lee came to its fullness
- And the descendants of the disenfranchised Fourth Estate flocked to the portals of the Blogs and the Facebook and the Twitter
- And they entered there-in.
- And so was born the true democracy of the Fifth Estate
- Which gained the undying enmity of the Fourth Estate and its scribes and its lackeys the First Estate and the Second Estate and the Third Estate
- For they all feared irrelevancy.
- For they all needed the consumers who had fled to the Halls of Social Media.
- So the truth was finally disseminated unto the common man by the common man
- And the name of the Common Man was Legion
- Yet it included the Arch-Bishops Assange and Manning and the ubiquitous Anonymous.
- With every Blogger and every Twitterer and every FaceBooker adding their voice.
- Blessed be the Blog Post and the Tweet and the FaceBook Update and the Wikileak.
- All saving Democracy and the world which became noisier yet finally amenable to reason.
- Blessed be the Fifth Estate and the power which devolved to the common man.
- And so the Lords Gutenburg and Marconi and Logie-Baird and Berners-Lee were able to rest from their labours.
- Yet St. Mvrdoch continued in his immortality and was a stain on any signs of a resurrected democracy.
It seems that an elephant got too close to all the baby ducks the circus had brought in for Easter, and accidentally inhaled a bunch of them.
The poor elephant was choking on them and no one could help. (Ever tried doing the Heimlich on a pachyderm?)
Finally, in desperation, the trainer goosed him — and the elephant blew out a whole trunk full of downy feathers.
Yep! That’s what he gets for snorting quack.
Conservative Treasurers of Australia; John Howard, Peter Costello, Joe Hockey and Scott Morrison walked into a bar.
The barman said, ‘If this is a joke, there can only be three of you.’
The Treasurers said, ‘There are.’
There is a new wine available for seniors who have problems getting up often to urinate at night —
A single glass at night could mean a peaceful, uninterrupted nights sleep.
I kid you not…
Tasmanian vintners who primarily produce Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Grigio wines, have developed a new hybrid grape that acts as an anti-diuretic.
It is expected to reduce the number of trips older people have to make to the bathroom during the night.
The new wine will be marketed as PINOT MORE