The Mount Lawley Bowling Club was founded in 1909 at the present site.
Originally the Club owned the whole site surrounded by Storthes St, Rookwood St, Queens Cres and Clifton Cres. The original clubhouse was built around 1912 and was situated between B & C Greens and adjacent to Storthes St.
In 1920, an approach was made to the Perth Road District Board `…requesting the lease of part of the future Memorial Gardens in Queens Crescent, for a nominal rent” in order to form Mount Lawley Tennis Club. The proposal was that in return for this lease, the club would contribute half of the maintenance costs of the leased land and have five tennis courts constructed. The Board agreed under the proviso that only residents and ratepayers of the Perth Road District would be able to join the club.
On 7 September 1921, the Mount Lawley Ladies Bowling and Croquet Club was formed. It is not known if croquet was played on the bowling greens or on the croquet lawns that are believed to have been laid out along the western edge of Memorial Gardens & Recreation. Reserve Mount Lawley.
In 1923 there were two greens – both under lights.
In 1936, Mount Lawley Tennis club built a new clubhouse at Memorial Gardens_& Recreation Reserve, Mount Lawley: The clubhouse was designed in the Inter War Functionalist style by architectural firm Powell, Cameron & Chisholm. In addition to providing the basic facilities of an office, kitchen and changing room, the building had several distinctive–features– The main room had a specially polished floor that made it suitable for dancing, the front façade consisted of collapsible doors that opened onto a verandah overlooking the courts and the flat roof was designed to function as a grandstand. The roof was accessed by a double staircase that rose behind a stepped parapet atthemainentrance on the western elevation.
In 1958 the Bowling Club took over the Mt Lawley Tennis Courts & Clubhouse. Mount Lawley Tennis Club, who had shared the site for a number of years, moved to its present location at the corner of Central Ave and Walter Rd.
So that is the recreation part of the “Memorial Gardens & Recreation. Reserve Mount Lawley.”
In 1924 the architectural firm of Eales & Cohen were commissioned to design a war memorial to commemorate the local men who died during WW1. The memorial was constructed by contractors Wales & Gillies from carved dressed Donnybrook stone on the high point of the reserve in the north_west corner.